Avatar 7 Might Be On the Table, According to James Cameron

If there’s one movie that could mesmerize you with every sequel, it would probably be Avatar.

by | Dec 26, 2022

A poster for the Avatar sequel, "the Way of Water."

Avatar is looking to become a franchise with multiple movies, according to James Cameron’s plans. | via 20th Century Fox

After Avatar: The Way of Water hits the theaters later this month, the series is already set to continue with three more films slated to release in 2024, 2026, and 2028 respectively. However, this might not be the end, although you would have to wait another 25 years.

In an interview with the Hollywood Reporter published on November 30th, Cameron notes that he already has plans for a sixth and seventh installment in the Avatar series. However, the Academy Award-winning director also said, “I’d be 89 by then,” referring to how it took him 25 years to film the first two installments.

In the extensive interview documenting the making of The Way of Water, the director notes how he had too much of a hands-on approach with the first movie. He meticulously should every shot through his own hands, much was “too much of a bottleneck.”

With The Way of Water, Cameron notes he has shot an estimated 70 percent of the movie, with the other 30 percent being shot by Richard Baneham, the visual effects supervisor. “That’s big growth for me,” the director notes. Cameron indicates that he might apply a similar strategy with Avatar 6 and 7.

“Obviously, I’m not going to be able to make Avatar movies indefinitely, the amount of energy required. I would have to train somebody how to do this because, I don’t care how smart you are as a director, you don’t know how to do this.” Cameron believes he has “five or six more movies in him”, with the ­three Avatar sequels accounting for half of them.

James Cameron seemed to be enthusiastically obsessed with the Avatar universe, seeing as the sequel marks his first movie in 13 years, the first being Avatar. The director immerses himself in the story, creating a standard of realism that required custom gear to be created and to have several cast members learn how to free dive.

The Expectation with Avatar: The Way of Water

The original movie was budgeted at $237 million back in 2009, excluding the costs for promotion. While the movie did phenomenally well at the box office, it also puts the sequel under a lot of pressure, not to forget that it has been produced with a similarly exorbitant amount.

Cameron has made no compromises when it comes to providing the most realistic experience to his viewers. This is what led to the four ­Avatar sequels sharing a total $1 billion budget, and Cameron plans to put every single penny to use.

Cameron made headlines previously this year when criticized the runtime of The Way of Water.

Talking to Empire, the director said “I don’t want anybody whining about length when they sit and binge-watch [television] for eight hours,” referring to the movie’s three-hour runtime.

The sequel was officially announced in 2010 and was expected to be released in 2014. Production delays kept pushing back the release date, and here we are, almost 13 years later. Considering the money that has been put into the movie, it might need to make half a billion dollars just to break even. But it’s James Cameron we’re talking about, the man behind two of the five highest-grossing movies of all time.

“The market could be telling us we’re done in three months, or we might be semi-done, meaning: ‘Okay, let’s complete the story within movie three, and not go on endlessly,’ if it’s just not profitable,” Cameron revealed to Total Film. “We’re in a different world now than we were when I wrote this stuff, even. It’s the one-two punch – the pandemic and streaming. Or, conversely, maybe we’ll remind people what going to the theater is all about. This film definitely does that. The question is: how many people give a s*** now?”

Stay tuned to receive more updates about the future of the Avatar franchise.