Marvel is done with Jonathan Majors — What’s next for Kang?

A bar graph for the breast cancer rates among women of different ethnicities.

In just an hour of being found guilty of criminal charges, Jonathan Majors (aka Kang the Conqueror) has been dropped from future Marvel projects.

Photo: Marvel Studios

Published on Dec 19, 2023

Signing on for the role of Kang the Conqueror in Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania, Jonathan Majors knew he was in for a long run at the Marvel Cinematic Universe. One of Hollywood’s rising stars when the year started, Majors’ career has since received a stunning blow: found guilty of harassment and third-degree assault, the actor has been dropped from All future Marvel projects, multiple outlets reported.

While Majors was arrested on said charges in March earlier this year, the actor notably appeared as Victor Timely (another Kang variant) in the second season of “Loki” — primarily because the show had already been shot last year, Variety reported. The actor was being groomed to be the villainous warlord of Marvel’s phases five and six, leading to an all-out war that was rumored to reset the entire universe.

Ever since the charges against Majors surfaced, Marvel had been planning for a way out — focused on making icons like Dr. Doom as the villainous force. Although the studio has remained tight-lipped on the topic, an earlier report said that Marvel hired “Loki” creator Michael Waldron to work on a new script for “Avengers: Kang Dynasty,” which is being referred to as Avengers 5 for now — until a rebranding becomes imminent.

They may even look to recast for the role of Kang, something Marvel Studios hasn’t shied away from: the studio replaced actor Terrance Howard with Don Cheadle as James Rhodes (aka War Machine) in “Iron Man 2”, and more recently chose Harrison Ford to take over the role of General Thaddeus Ross for William Hurt (who died in 2022) in 2025’s “Thunderbolts.”

Majors celebrated recent success for his appearances in “The Last Black Man in San Francisco” and “Creed III,” but his management and PR teams have since dropped the actor, and his film “Magazine Dreams” has been removed from its studio’s release calendar.